Preparing for Your Surgery
It is important to take the correct precautions and steps prior to your surgery to ensure a smooth check-in process. Your doctor’s office may have directed you to see a physician for a pre-op evaluation, lab work, out-patient tests, X-ray, or EKG or may have requested that you take medications before your surgery. Please follow all of these instructions.
Your physician’s office may notify you of the day and time of your scheduled surgery. The times given by your physician’s office may change according to time changes at the surgery center. You will be notified of any schedule changes by the surgery center staff.
Bon Air Surgery Center Staff will call you the day before your surgery to do the following:
- Confirm the time of your surgery
- Ask health questions to accelerate the admission process
- Review any special instructions
- Answer any questions you have
- Request that you bring a list of your current medications and dosage.
- If your doctor gave you medications to take after the surgery, please make sure that you fill those prescriptions prior to surgery.
You must arrange for an adult to drive you home and to be with you during the first 24 hours after surgery. You cannot drive yourself or be left alone if you have had general or spinal anesthesia or sedation. If this person is not staying at the Surgery Center during your procedure, we will need their name and telephone so that we can let them know when you will be ready to go home.
Notify Bon Air if any of the following conditions occur:
- Notify your physician and the Surgery Center before coming to the center if there are any signs of becoming ill such as fever or flu like symptoms, infection or any open sores on your body especially near your operative site.
- You suspect you may be pregnant.
Know your financial responsibility before arriving the day of the procedure. You will be contacted by the Center’s business office prior to the day of your procedure to verify your financial responsibility i.e. deductibles and co-insurance. Upon arrival at the Center, your financial portion of the procedure must be paid. Failure to do so could result in cancellation. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, cashier’s check or debit card. We also accept American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover card. Personal checks are NOT accepted. Leave all other valuables at home.
Food and Drink
Do not eat or drink anything after midnight on the day of surgery which includes gum and/or candy. Also, do not drink alcohol for at least 24 hours prior to your surgery.
NOTE: failure to follow these instructions will result in the cancellation of your procedure.
Pick up any pre-prescribed post-op medications prior to your arrival.
Plan to arrive at the center one hour prior to your surgery unless told otherwise by the surgery center. You will be meeting with your anesthesiologist and preparing for your surgery during this time.